In ikebana – “giving life to flowers” – the Japanese observe an art form derived from Shinto and Buddhist belief where during the act of creation, they practice the following 7 principles, while making sense of the unity among the greenery and flora.
- Silence – observe nature and develop inner peace.
- Minimalism – how to achieve beauty in simplicity.
- Grace – achieve grace in while lines and shapes.
- Follow nature – do not force or conform arrangement against the flow of things.
- Humanity – the feeling you put into the arrangement is honest and true.
- Structure – the basic structure if scalene triangle with three main points representing heaven, earth and humanity.
- Aesthetics – develop your unique sense of artistic inclination and expand on creativity.
Here are some Ikebana works to inspire your own exploration.